Sunday, December 28, 2014

Brooklyn

I'm blessed to have been born in Brooklyn... To be a Brooklynite. 
To most people it's a place of myths and dreams... The other part of New York they wanted to visit.. but didn't... Where the Kings Hip Hop are born.. One of the most famous bridges of the world... Lives there. 


I know so many people who have "been" to NYC and never crossed that bridge. Most folks go to Manhattan's Times Square and think they've seen NYC, which couldn't be further from the truth... That's like going to the moon and saying you've explored the universe. You ain't seen nothin',an' Ya been Nowhere! 
New York City is a city of islands... Brooklyn is on the edge of one of 'em...The 4th largest city in This Country! You can live in the projects, you can live on the beach, you can live in a penthouse, you can live on the street. It's all available. As far as American towns go BK is the place of legend. I think more celebrities have been born in Brooklyn than any other... Home of the Huxtables, the Cramdens the Bunkers and yes the Flintstone's (Bedrock was Brooklyn).
When I tell people I'm from Brooklyn faces change... Eyebrows go up, eyes widen, smiles appear as if to say " Wow, I finally met someone from Brooklyn"... Then they ask "Are you really from Brooklyn?" Sometimes someone says... " Hey Me Too!!!" at which time I'll say "What Part!!!" and it starts... It feels good... like meeting another club member.... We Compare notes,check high schools, streets, old haunts and memories becoming kindred spirits as we realize how far we've come or gone from Brooklyn. Like me, so many have moved to live in other cities so we speak with nostalgia on our tongues and a love in our eyes That's so obvious see and feel. For short periods of time we transport each other back in time to better days... It can start with the mention of a neighborhood or a street. Most recently it was Legion St. Sometimes it was Eastern Pkwy or Nostrand ave or Linden Blvd... I meet a lot of people from Canarsie where I graduated HS while living in Starrett City... Flatbush is often mentioned where I lived in the junction across from Brooklyn College. I was born in Bedford Stuyvesant (Bed-Sty) at St. John's hospital. First stop was St Marks Ave then we moved to Ebbets Field on Bedford Ave in Crown Heights. Honorable mention to Red Hook, Williamsburg, & East New York.
I've lived in many cities and states since then but wherever I was, I repped Brooklyn. My traveling has softened my accent but after a couple of beers it goes backondablock.
I still dream of living in Park Slope... I still lament when a summer passes without visiting Nathan's at Coney Island... I live in Philly now... An hour and a half away. Its close... It's close enough.
These days I live for love and that takes me all over the world... I keep Brooklyn in my heart.
There will always be a part of me that lives in Brooklyn... 
Wherever I am... It's who I am. Will it ever leave?
Yo Fagetaboubit!!!
believe that... I got a bridge I wanna sell Ya !

No comments: